Palazzos

Villa Quadrio

Villa Quadrio was commissioned by the famous journalist, author and publisher Emilio Quadrio and built in 1913-1914.

The building was designed by a Milanese architect, Adolfo Zacchi, who drew his inspiration from architectural and decorative elements typical of the Renaissance, and especially from the Roman villa of the Farnesina.

While the architectural and decorative framework (the stringcourseledges, the use of terracotta, the graphic motifs on the
facades) is inspired by the Renaissance, some of the elements (like the portico’s floral ornamentation) betray an art nouveau influence. Inside there are a wooden choir and a beautiful stŁa from the 16th century, both originally from the Guardian Angel complex.

The great concert hall is quite impressive as well, with its ceiling embellished by spectacular stuccoes.

In 1935, the renowned violinist Teresina Tua, Emilio Quadrio’s second wife, bequeathed the villa to the city of Sondrio, on the condition that it be utilized for cultural purposes; today, it serves as the city’s public library.

Information

Read More

Where
Via 4 novembre 20 - Sondrio
Accessibility

Wheelchair-accessible

Not to be missed

A visit to the Carbonera stŁa

You may be also interested in...